Thursday, May 22, 2014

Job Rant

I really really want a job, in case y'all haven't noticed it yet. Last spring I tried to find a summer job to no avail, and I kept looking throughout the summer with no luck. Nobody wanted me, plain and simple.

After a bad day in early October, I stopped in at my local Starbucks to get a pumpkin spice latte. When I walked in, the first thing I saw was a giant "HELP WANTED" sign. I talked to the manager, filled out an application, and had a job by the end of the next week. I finally felt like I was a part of something, and it was something really cool.

After the first week, it was far from being as cool as I thought it would be when I first was hired. I was repulsed by my coworkers (I actually made a blog full of quotes from them in it, it's gold. Look up cappucinowithashotofclass.blogspot.com for a good time), I hated the facility I was working in (it smelled nasty and was full of scary people), and I struggled at times with the stress of keeping up with everything. I didn't enjoy my job at all, but still I felt that it had become a part of me. I did enjoy the paycheck, though.

In December, right before my midterm exams, I was preparing to take another important test: my barista certification test.I didn't receive very much job training while I was there, especially with making cold drinks, and that proved to be my downfall. I had to make two cold drinks that I had absolutely no idea how to make. It was late autumn/early winter- nobody in their right mind was looking for an iced white mocha or an iced chai. I managed to guess the ingredients correctly, but I just didn't get them into the cup in the right order. So, I failed my test and got fired.

Immediately after, I started hunting for a new job. I had managed to secure and interview after applying twice with a local cafe in late February, and it went very well. The manager who I spoke with said she'd call me back within the next few weeks, since I wouldn't be starting right away. I wait and wait and wait and wait, and three months have passed. I finally lose patience and call the cafe, only to learn that the manager who interviewed me moved to Australia and that I'd have to reapply. Just uggggggh.

The worst part of the job hunting process is the endless disappointment. Even fast food restaurants don't want me. I'm not qualified to do many things, and I don't have a very large network for entrepreneurship either. No matter what options I pursue, it just never works out for me. This is as good as I've gotten, and I can't even get paid for it for another seven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment