Friday, July 24, 2015

Unpopular Opinion: I think the "Bad Blood" Music Video is Extremely Overrated

I'm sure many of you have seen the video for Taylor Swift's "Bad Blood" and remember all the hype that went into it before its release. Every day, a new poster with a character was released, there was behind the scenes footage, and so on. Even though I'm neither here-nor-there on Taylor Swift, I was really fascinated by the video's concept and wanted to see it pretty badly.

I had expected something similar to Kanye West's short film Runaway which showcased many of his songs from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, told a creative and compelling story, and featured some scenes in addition to showcasing the music. With the variety of interesting characters, I expected a really interesting experience! What I got was hugely disappointing.

Essentially, the video consisted of posing with weapons, some fighting, grrrrrl power faces, and not much else. There was literally NO STORY OR PLOT OR POINT TO THE WHOLE THING! After ALL THAT FREAKING HYPE it was a major disappointment!

While the special effects were well done and the fights had great choreography, I don't think that it deserved all the VMA nominations it received. 

Also, I know that this unwarranted opinion is super late since the video has been out for like, a month, but in the wake of the Nicki Minaj/Taylor Swift "twitter feud" I couldn't help but think of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment